The Southern Illinois University Carbondale campus engages the strengths of the academic mission of the university by providing a living laboratory for students, visitors and the local community to study in a natural and aesthetically pleasing environment. The university Arboretum strives to provide a welcoming connection with the natural world, offering opportunities for teaching, research, conservation, public education and recreation.
Goals and Objectives
- Preserve and care for the trees currently inhabiting the campus landscape.
- Preserve and expand the species diversity represented in the campus landscape.
- Maintain a succession plan for campus trees.
- Continue and improve the use of the campus as an arboretum for research, teaching and public education.
- Celebrate trees through educational events within the campus arboretum.
- Provide service-learning opportunities for campus constituents and the public.
- Maintain documented academic collections over time.
- Maintain records of all trees in the campus collection.